Monday, March 4, 2013

1 Kings 12-13

The decisions we make effect the direction our life takes. God always has our backs but God also blesses wisdom and maturity. A wise person seeks the counsel of others and I want to just emphasize the importance of taking advice from those older than us.

1 Kings 12 really spoke to me this week about the importance of older people in my life and the wisdom they have to offer. We read in the chapter that Rehoboam the new King of Israel rejects the advice of his older counselors:

3So they sent for Jeroboam, and he and the whole assembly of Israel went to Rehoboam and said to him: 4“Your father put a heavy yoke on us, but now lighten the harsh labor and the heavy yoke he put on us, and we will serve you.”
5Rehoboam answered, “Go away for three days and then come back to me.” So the people went away.
6Then King Rehoboam consulted the elders who had served his father Solomon during his lifetime. “How would you advise me to answer these people?” he asked.
7They replied, “If today you will be a servant to these people and serve them and give them a favorable answer, they will always be your servants.”
8But Rehoboam rejected the advice the elders gave him and consulted the young men who had grown up with him and were serving him.

Rehoboam rejected the advice of the older counselors which led to the division of the nation of Israel. Our decisions don't make an impact on such a big scale but I can't emphasize enough the importance of advice from older generations. Our parents have been around a lot longer than we have and know a lot more than us (even though we oftentimes think we know more.) I've faced many decisions in my life when I've sought the advice of my parents and other older friends. Oftentimes they confirmed and encouraged the decisions I was making but sometimes they gave me a word of caution or showed me a perspective I hadn't already thought about.

I cannot emphasize the importance that input from other people has in my life. Sometimes we are blind to certain things but another person can see what we haven't seen. Those older than us have probably been through whatever it is you're going through right now and they've come out the other side. Seek out wise counsel and let it impact your life.

Written by Philip Day

1 comment: